Attention Gladwin, Baldwin, and Red Oaks Michigan, Black Bear hunting starts today..good luck and dont get mulled by one!
Tip: 1) Before coming up north for the hunt, wash all your clothes twice. First with laundry detergent and then a second time with just water to make sure all the soap perfumes are out of your clothes.
2) If you smoke, bring some nicotine patches so you don't get the craving while you are in the tree stand. The big trophy bears are older and smarter and know what tobacco smells like and they know it comes from humans. Not smoking will give you a better chance at a trophy bear. All animals have an instinctive fear of smoke and fire.
3) Stay very quiet. Bring some mint flavored throat lozenges with you in case your throat gets scratchy. This will help keep you from coughing.
4) Use unscented deodorant, soap and shampoo.
5) Stay still. A bear's visual acuity is largely based on movement. Actually, that's true with most animals.
6) After breakfast or after lunch, either brush your teeth with mint toothpaste or chew mint gum while you are in the tree stand. When people go camping in Ontario's parks, the first thing the ranger says is keep gum and toothpaste out of your tent. Black Bears go nuts over the scent of mint. So mint toothpaste and gum will not only cover up any scent on your breath, it may even attract bears.
7) If you are going to drink alcohol the night before the hunt, which is a big part of any vacation, it's best to drink beer. The next day, the beer smell in your body slowly dissipates and makes you smell like bread. Other forms of alcohol tend to give you more of an artificial chemical smell. You may not notice it, but the next morning, people who have not been drinking can smell it on you. A bear's sense of small is about 250 times better then a human.